Adventurer 2 unveils Maaga Thila for their divers.
The first dive site on the morning of April 9th was not far from the Adventurer’s final anchorage.
Orimas Thila: A protected marine area located in north Ari atoll near Ellaidhoo Region. Sometimes called Maaga Thila after the island Maaga to the north.
This beautiful Thila has many distinctive features that made it one of the top ranking Thilas until El Nino hit. This 100 meter long Thila has stunning accents on both sides and all along the length of the Thila. The north side of the Thila offers caves with spectacular coral growth and on the southern side the Thila slopes down to a sand bank.
Sadly, Maaga Thila was one of the most effected Thilas from El Nino, which basically left the beautiful hard coral garden on the top reef completely bleached.
Regardless of the bleaching, the reef remains intact in deeper waters with huge black coral bushes, sea fans and many other sights. Here you will find almost every fish that you can possibly find in the Maldives. From Gray reef sharks to white tip reef sharks, napoleons to jacks and tuna. Caves and overhangs offer the smaller invertebrates from Nudibrach to clear shrimps.
The second dive was to Bathalaa Maaga Kan Thila, and was one of the favorites and most likely best Thila to see Gray Reef sharks. The Thila is located just right of the eastern edge of the atoll, eastern side exposed to the ocean side, giving plenty of opportunities to find lager pelagic, while leaving the western side to a sand bed for the bottom feeders. On this dive we saw 2 gray reef sharks, white tip reef sharks and eagle rays.
We moved to Rasdhoo atoll, Rashdoo Madivaru dive site for the third dive, under very poor visibility and a mild current, but we still had an enjoyable dive.
- MV Sting Ray Catches the Action at Makaru Thila and Bathala Maaga Kan Thila.
- Black Pearl divers catch sight of Silver Tip Reef Sharks at Bathala Maaga Kan Thila.
- Adventurer 2 reports Manta Ray at Boduhithi Thila north Male’ atoll.
- Mola Mola at Bathala Maaga Kan Thila
- Shark show exhibited at Bathala Maaga Kan Thila.
- Adventurer 2 concludes its diving season
- Adventurer 2 trades barbecue for a night dive at Raidhigaa Island House Reef.
- Adventurer 2 dive and snorkel with whale shark at Sun Island Beyru.
- Adventurer 2 facing poor surface conditions at north Ari atoll
- Adventurer 2 reveals Maaya Thila for this week divers.