Kuda Giri Dive Site
The Kuda Giri Wreck dive site in the Maldives is a treat for avid scuba divers!
The Kuda Giri dive site, located in the South Male Atoll of the Maldives, possesses a small boat wreck and a reef / pinnacle.
- Location: South Male Atoll, 22km south of Male’
- Description: Wreck / Reef
- Depth: 31 meters (102 feet)
- Visibility: Approximately 10 to 25 meters (50 feet)
- Currents: Gentle
- Surface Conditions: Calm
- Water Temperature: Approximately 27 to 30°C
- Experience Level: Beginner to Intermediate
- Diving Season: All Year Round
- Access: Maldives Liveaboard
Kuda Giri Dive Site – Wreck
The Kuda Giri dive site features a small ship wreck, a fishing trawler that was scuttled (or sunk deliberately) 10 years ago. The fishing trawler was sunk to form an artifical reef, which has proved to be a success. The wreck is now covered by stony, staghorn and table corals, not to mention the colorful red, orange and yellow sponges that reside amongst the coral.
The Kuda Giri wreck sits upright on the sea floor, and can be explored from its bow (which points towards the giri, or pinnacle) at 18 meters all the way down to its stern at 30 meters.
Experienced divers can swim through the Kuda Giri wreck, discovering the plethora of sea life that now calls the captain’s cabin, cargo hold and machine room home. Divers can enter the Kuda Giri wreck through the machine room and exit at the stern, or enter at the front cargo hold and exit at the bridge.
While diving amongst the Kuda Giri wreck‘s remains, divers should look out for large schools of glass fish and bat fish that have made this sunken ship their home. Divers can also expect to see turtles, napoleon wrasse, jack fish, trigger fish, shrimp, lobsters, frog fish, blue fin trevally, fusiliers and leaf fish, among others!
Kuda Giri Dive Site – Reef / Pinnacle
After the Kuda Giri wreck, you can swim back to the reef / pinnacle, where you can enjoy a typical reef dive, as well as all the Maldivian marine life that comes along with it, including napoleon wrasse, parrot fish, oriental sweetlips and many more.
The reef tower features beautiful overhangs overflowing with colorful soft coral. Fish playfully swim amongst the coral, often making for a great photo opportunity.
- Black Pearl Dives North and South Male Atolls – Miyaru Faru, Kuda Giri & Kandooma Thila
- Black Pearl Dives at Nassimo Thila & Kuda Giri
- Adventurer 2 begins their diving from Kuda Giri.
- Wreck diving in Maldives.
- Broken Rock Dive Site in the Maldives
- Fish Head Dive Site
- Banana Reef Dive Site in the Maldives
- Black Pearl Liveaboard Searches for a Whale Shark
- Banana Reef Dive Site
- Rangali Madivaru Dive Site